Team Super SUP Experience
Read about when Celtic & Co went on a team Super SUP experience with the Newquay Activity Centre, exploring hidden caves and the clear waters around our town's headland. Plus, we're offering you the chance to win your very own Super SUP experience for a group of friends, work colleagues or family alongside £100 of Celtic & Co vouchers!
Stand Up Paddle Boarding With A Twist
A group of 7 Celtic & Co colleagues booked onto a Super SUP experience with the Newquay Activity Centre knowing it would be a fun experience, but not quite prepared for how fun and varied it would be. Setting off from Towan Beach in Newquay, our instructor Grant walked us down to the shoreline where a gigantic SUP board was waiting for us. Each equipped with paddles, life vests and helmets, Grant was thorough to show us the ropes with how to board and control the SUP, and what to do when falling overboard...which he highlighted would happen, a lot.
We all climbed on board and paddled out into the ocean on our knees, surviving the odd wave or two. With most of us laughing at each other's unsteadiness, we then attempted to stand up and were quick to fall over into the water. It's hard to get your balance when your colleague next to you is laughing loudly whilst dancing around trying to find a foot hold.
Grant then instructed us to all head towards the harbour wall, quite a work out on the arms even though it was only a short distance from the beach, where we took it in turns to take on each other in a battle of balance. Without touching each other, you had to move the board with your feet with the aim of tripping up your opponent. The photos here say it all...
The next stage of the session was paddling out into the ocean and around the headland under the Huers Hut and Atlantic Hotel - some of the many iconic landmarks here in Newquay. This was quite a workout for most of us and really tested our stamina and ability to work as a team, as we had to meander around sunken rocks, and in between lobster pots and buoys.
Grant then pointed out the variety of wildlife on the cliffs, from nesting Cormorants and Fulmars to the rare close up sighting of a Gannet flying overhead. He then explained that the odd door-like holes in the rock face were 200 year old smuggler holes for storing tea. Apparently a heavily taxed luxury back in the day, smugglers would climb the dangerous cliffs at night, stashing tea and other valuable items away from the authorities. One of the tunnels is said to go all the way underground to the Red Lion pub's basement - 483 metres down the road towards town.
Next on the agenda was a spot of cave exploring. Grant pointed out three that stood close together, towering over lagoon-like turquoise water and instructed us to paddle into the middle one. As we headed into the cave, the rocky edges inched closer and closer to the sides of the SUP and the daylight faded behind us.
We'll Be Back!
After paddling back to shore and attempting a group photo whilst trying to stand up on the SUP (as you can see it went horribly wrong), we were greeted by another member of the NAC team who handed out chilled cans of Korev for everyone. A welcome treat after being out at sea for 2 hours.
We were all a buzz with what we'd just experienced, remarking on how much fun it was and how we will all be back again soon to try out other sessions on offer from the Newquay Activity Centre. We want to take this opportunity to thank Grant and the team at the NAC for the experience and urge anyone that's either local or venturing down for a holiday to book with this fantastic company.
Newquay Activity Centre
Win a Super SUP experience for 4 people with the Newquay Activity Centre, plus £100 of Celtic & Co vouchers to spend online or in store.
All you have to do is fill in the below. Good luck!
Competition Now Closed.
Terms & Conditions
- Prize includes a Super SUP experience for 4 adults (dates subject to availability) with the Newquay Activity Centre, plus £100 of Celtic & Co vouchers.
- The competition commences at 9am on Sunday 7th July 2019 and closes at midnight on Sunday 21st July 2019. Entries received after that date and time will not be considered.
- One winner of the prize will be drawn at random and notified by e-mail. If contact cannot be made within 14 days of the draw date, the prize will be forfeited and a further random draw will be made.
- No cash alternative available.
- By entering the competition you are confirming you have the legal capacity to do so and agree to these terms and conditions.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase required.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- Prize does not include travel to/from the Newquay Activity Centre/Cornwall.
- Experience subject to availability. Winner needs to either call 01637 877722 or email [email protected] to arrange suitable dates.
- Only one entry per person. Automated/bulk entries and entries from third parties are not permitted and will be disqualified.
- If, due to circumstances beyond their control, the Newquay Activity Centre and Celtic & Co are unable to provide the stated prize, they reserve the right to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value.
- The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 18 years or over except the Newquay Activity Centre and Celtic & Co employees and their families.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The prize winner must agree to use of their name for promotion purposes.
- Entry into this prize draw is taken as acceptance of these terms and conditions.